top of page
  • Writer's pictureCourt Help Limited

How do I change me name via a Deed?

Updated: Mar 26, 2023

If you want to change your name on a deed, the process differs from place to place. This article provides basic & clear information you how to change your name on a deed in England, whether it’s because of marriage, divorce, or anything else that necessitates a legal name change. We’ll talk about the different parties involved, how you can approach each one, and how much it will cost you. Then we’ll tell you what you need to do afterwards to make sure your name gets changed everywhere else it needs to be changed as well!

Is changing of name by Deed Poll easy?

Change of name by Deed poll

The deed change process may seem difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some helpful tips to get you started. To get started, contact your lawyer or ask an adviser at your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

Changing your name on a deed is easiest if you can prove that there has been a change in statuses such as marriage or divorce. However, even if there has been no such event, some people find that it is still possible and worthwhile changing their name in order to make life simpler (i.e., there is no need for two utility bills) and enjoy the recognition of their chosen new name.

If you do not want to change your surname after a divorce or marriage, then you should not use one of these names: Jones-Smith, Smith-Jones, Mrs John Smith etc. If you are changing your name because of marriage and don't want to change your surname then consider hyphenating both surnames e.g., Smith-Jones rather than Mrs John Smith. This makes it clear that both surnames will continue to be used by either partner individually after marriage. You may include all partners' details on any documents submitted during the application process including: birth certificates; passports; National Insurance number cards; proof of address documents; driving licences etc.

How do change your Name Following Marriage?

Changing your name is easy and quick, but it’s important that you have all of your documents changed. If you don’t, then many organisations may still be using your old name for up to six months after marriage. To change your name following marriage, there are several options available: Changing your name by deed poll in England Changing surname from the birth register in England Changing surname from first marriage certificate Change of forename(s) from first marriage certificate You can also change or correct maiden names or any details from previous marriages. Make sure you get every document changed before applying for a new passport. Otherwise, you may end up with two passports with different names! To change your name, follow these steps... 1.

Changing Name Following Divorce

Your name change, when it comes after divorce, can actually be more complex than if you were simply changing your surname for other reasons. If you’re divorced, there are steps that you need to take before requesting a change of name deed. You must also understand how your new name will affect any documents that have already been processed under your former identity.

Change a child's name after divorce in England & Wales

When you divorce or your spouse dies, it is not uncommon for one of you to want to change your surname. If you're getting divorced and your children are over 16, they can apply for their name change using an application called form.


bottom of page