top of page

What is Child Alienation?

(also known as Parental Alienation)

Child Alienation is possibly one of the most complex issues that do not have a legislated legal solution.


What is Parental Alienation?

The concept and the word 'Child Alienation' / 'Parental Alienation' arguably has American origins and is defines as 'A child resisting or refusing contact (or independent contact) with a parent or his/her carer post-separation could be for many reasons. However, when a child's resistance or hostility towards one parent is without justification and is the result of psychological manipulation by the other parent/carer then this it amounts to alienation .'


CAFCASS and child experts have now started looking into this and are aware of the challenges that Child alienation can bring.


The contentious issue of Parental Alienation has been back-breaking for untrained and trained professional (both) to grapple with.


The matter becomes more complicated when you add the fact that apart from Common Law (read Case Law) the Child Act 1989 does not have any substantial direct and clear provisions to address the matters or give a definitive guide to the honourable Judges.


Our courts, lead by learned Judges, are well capable of dealing with the matter. However, the Court guided by law and keeping in mind the fact that Judges can not humanly change the time this complex matter identification and rectification requires.


However, we at Court Help Limited believe that it is time that clear legislation is passed and those alienating the children are duly taken to task. 


Both the parents (either) should not involve in this abusive practise, at the same time one needs to remember the fine balance between child knowing, experiencing or being made aware of the truth. The fine line between the truth and alienation makes this more tricky.


We at Court Help Limited have assisted many parents facing this complex issue, we have assisted clients and are able to request the Court to look at the help of a specialist (psychologist) if required and other applications to be made in matters involving child alienation / parental alienation.

bottom of page